Freshman Year Housing and How to Survive
Freshman year has to be one of the weirdest times of one’s life. You move to a new place, take new classes with new teachers, eat a lot of mass-produced food, and you try to find your new niche. As if the transition is not hard enough, the college then decides to throw you into a, most likely, very small room with a stranger.
Freshman year housing and the random roommate assignment. We all waited for it that summer before arrival, checking our emails constantly. When the notification finally arrives, you instantly check all social media to figure out what this person is like, and you debate if you should be the first to send the awkward “hello” message.
My recommendation: do it. Send the message. Be the friendly one because, chances are, that other person behind the screen is just as nervous as you. If you break through the awkwardness early on, that will be one less hurdle to conquer upon arrival. Plus, it’s helpful to plan who is bringing what.
If you’re lucky enough, like I was, then you’ll receive an email with not one, but TWO names attached to it. Congratulations, your life just got 10x more complicated but also 10x more fun.
So how do you live this new style? Especially if you’re used to having your own room? Pro Tip: Go. With. The. Flow.
This may sound cliche, but it has never more true than in this situation. There are going to be things that bother you about each person, and, believe me, after four months together, the semester breaks are needed. But if you remain laid back, your semester will be MUCH more enjoyable.
Take these hints:
1. If someone wants to talk on the phone in the room, let them. As long as it’s not a 24/7 thing, you can deal for a little while.
2. Don’t stress the little things. Everyone has their quirks. Some of them they may not realize are a problem. As long as these people don’t intentionally try to bother you, let it go.
3. If you’re chill, they’ll be chill. Chances are, if you act stressed out, you’re going to stress them out. So why make matters worse?
4. Be the roommate you want. You know what you like and don’t like, so act the way you want your roommate to act, and hopefully, they’ll get the hint.
5. Don’t have high expectations. The lower the ones you set, the happier you’ll be.
I had quite the trio freshman year. We were all pretty different, yet we all made it through the whole year together. While, in the end, I did end up being the classic example of someone who grows closer to one roommate more than the other, I know that I either would still have my back two years later. The key to our success was relaxation. We understood each other’s different habits, and we respected them.
These tips are not just for freshman year either. You’ll move in with your best friends sophomore year and realize all sorts of things about them that you had no idea about. Just keep calm and carry on (one more cliche was necessary here).
Apply to Write for Uloop NewsJoin the Uloop News Team
Discuss This Article
More Uloop Campus Life Articles
Recent UIC News Articles
RECENT UIC CLASSIFIEDS
WRITE FOR ULOOPApply to Write for Uloop News
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TOP 5 NEWS ARTICLES
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeNorthwesternDePaul UniversityUniversity of Illinois at ChicagoUniversity of IllinoisIllinois State UniversityLoyola University ChicagoNorthern Illinois UniversitySouthern Illinois University CarbondaleUniversity of ChicagoColumbia College ChicagoEastern Illinois UniversityNortheastern Illinois UniversitySouthern Illinois University EdwardsvilleWestern Illinois UniversityUniversity of Chicago Graduate School of BusinessMorton CollegeRoosevelt UniversityRobert Morris CollegeParkland CollegeMoraine Valley Community CollegeIllinois Wesleyan UniversityIllinois Institute of TechnologyChicago State UniversityKendall CollegeAugustana CollegeAmerican Intercontinental University OnlineAurora UniversityLisle, IllinoisBradley UniversityChicago School of Professional PsychologyConcordia UniversityDeVry UniversityDominican UniversityEast-West UniversityElmhurst CollegeGovernors State UniversityGreenville CollegeHarrington College of DesignIllinois CollegeInternational Academy of Design and TechnologyKnox CollegeLake Forest CollegeLewis UniversityLincoln Christian College and SeminaryLincoln CollegeMcKendree UniversityMidwestern UniversityMillikin UniversityMonmouth CollegeNational-Louis UniversityNorth Central CollegeNorth Park UniversityOlivet Nazarene UniversityQuincy UniversityRockford CollegeRosalind Franklin University of Medicine and ScienceRush UniversitySaint Augustine CollegeSaint Xavier UniversitySchool of the Art Institute of ChicagoThe Illinois Institute of ArtThe Illinois Institute of Art-SchaumburgThe John Marshall Law SchoolTrinity Christian CollegeTrinity International UniversityUniversity of Illinois at SpringfieldUniversity of St FrancisWheaton CollegeIllinois Central CollegeJoliet Junior CollegeShimer CollegeTruman CollegeThe Cooking and Hospitality Institute of ChicagoMacMurray CollegeCollege of DuPageIllinois Valley Community CollegeHarper CollegeIllinoisCity Colleges of ChicagoDePaul University College of LawBlack Hawk College Carl Sandburg College College of Lake County Danville Area Community CollegeElgin Community College Frontier Community College Highland Community College (IL)John A. Logan CollegeJohn Wood Community College Kankakee Community College Kaskaskia College Kishwaukee College Lewis & Clark Community CollegeLincoln Land Community College Lincoln Trail College McHenry County College Oakton Community College Olney Central College Prairie State College Rend Lake College Richland Community College Rock Valley College Sauk Valley Community College Shawnee Community College South Suburban College Southeastern Illinois College Spoon River College Triton College Wabash Valley College Waubonsee Community College Adler UniversityAlvareitas College of Cosmetology-BellevilleAlvareitas College of Cosmetology-EdwardsvilleAlvareitas College of Cosmetology-GodfreyAmerican Academy of ArtAmerican InterContinental University-OnlineArgosy University-ChicagoArgosy University-SchaumburgAveda Institute-ChicagoBexley Hall Seabury Western Theological Seminary FederationBIR Training CenterBlackburn CollegeBlessing Hospital School of Medical Laboratory TechnologyCALC Institute of TechnologyCameo Beauty AcademyCannella School of Hair Design-Blue IslandCannella School of Hair Design-ChicagoCannella School of Hair Design-ElginCannella School of Hair Design-Villa ParkCapital Area School of Practical NursingCapri Beauty CollegeCareer Center of Southern IllinoisCatholic Theological Union at ChicagoChicago ORT Technical InstituteChristian Life CollegeCity Colleges of Chicago-Harold Washington CollegeCity Colleges of Chicago-Kennedy-King CollegeCity Colleges of Chicago-Malcolm X CollegeCity Colleges of Chicago-Olive-Harvey CollegeCity Colleges of Chicago-Richard J Daley CollegeCity Colleges of Chicago-Wilbur Wright CollegeConcept College of CosmetologyCosmetology & Spa AcademyCoyne CollegeCreative Touch Cosmetology SchoolCurve Metric School of Hair DesignDebutantes School of Cosmetology and Nail TechnologyDeVry University-IllinoisEducators of Beauty College of Cosmetology-La SalleEducators of Beauty College of Cosmetology-SterlingEmpire Beauty School-Arlington HeightsEmpire Beauty School-Hanover ParkEmpire Beauty School-LisleEmpire Beauty School-Stone ParkEmpire Beauty School-Vernon HillsErikson InstituteEstelle Skin Care and Spa InstituteETI School of Skilled TradesEureka CollegeEverest College-Bedford ParkEverest College-Melrose ParkEverest College-North AuroraEverest College-SkokieFox CollegeGarrett-Evangelical Theological SeminaryGem City CollegeGraham Hospital School of NursingHair Professionals Career CollegeHair Professionals School of CosmetologyIllinois Center for BroadcastingIllinois College of OptometryITT Technical Institute-Oak BrookITT Technical Institute-Orland ParkITT Technical Institute-SpringfieldJ Renee Career FacilitationJohn Amico School of Hair DesignJudson UniversityKnowledge Systems InstituteLa James International College-East MolineLake Forest Graduate School of ManagementLincoln College of Technology-Melrose ParkLutheran School of Theology at ChicagoMacCormac CollegeMadison Media Institute-Rockford Career CollegeMcCormick Theological SeminaryMethodist CollegeMidstate CollegeMidwest College of Oriental Medicine-ChicagoMidwest Technical Institute-East PeoriaMidwest Technical Institute-MolineMidwest Technical Institute-SpringfieldMoody Bible InstituteMorrison Institute of TechnologyMorthland CollegeNational Latino Education InstituteNational University of Health SciencesNetworks Barber CollegeNiles School of CosmetologyNorthern Baptist Theological SeminaryNorthShore University HealthSystem School of Nurse AnesthesiaNorthwestern College-Chicago CampusNorthwestern College-Southwestern CampusPaul Mitchell the School-BradleyPaul Mitchell the School-NormalPCCTI IT and HealthcarePivot Point Academy-BloomingdalePivot Point Academy-EvanstonPrince Institute-Great LakesPrincipia CollegeRasmussen College-AuroraRasmussen College-IllinoisRasmussen College-Mokena/Tinley ParkRasmussen CollegeâRomeoville/JolietRegency Beauty Institute-AuroraRegency Beauty Institute-ChampaignRegency Beauty Institute-DarienRegency Beauty Institute-Fairview HeightsRegency Beauty Institute-PeoriaRegency Beauty Institute-Tinley ParkSAE Institute of Technology-ChicagoSaint Anthony College of NursingSaint Francis Medical Center College of NursingShear Learning Academy of CosmetologySOLEX CollegeSoma Institute-The National School of Clinical Massage TherapyStar Truck Driving School-BensenvilleStar Truck Driving School-Hickory HillsState Career CollegeTelshe Yeshiva-ChicagoThe Salon Professional Academy-ElginThe University of Aesthetics & CosmetologyTribeca Flashpoint Media Arts AcademyTricoci University of Beauty Culture-Chicago NETricoci University of Beauty Culture-Chicago NWTricoci University of Beauty Culture-Glendale HeightsTricoci University of Beauty Culture-LibertyvilleTricoci University of Beauty Culture-PeoriaTri-County Beauty AcademyTrinity College of Nursing & Health SciencesUnity Cosmetology CollegeUniversal Technical Institute of Illinois IncUniversity of Phoenix-IllinoisUniversity of Saint Mary of the LakeUniversity of Spa & Cosmetology ArtsVanderCook College of MusicWestwood College-DupageWorsham College of Mortuary ScienceBenedictine University
- By State
- By City