How to Create an Effective Roommate Agreement
When living with a roommate or multiple roommates, there may be issues or challenges that arise — which is natural when you’re sharing a space with other people. To make living with roommates go more smoothly, it’s a good idea to have a roommate agreement.
A roommate agreement or contract is basically a set of rules you and your roomies come up with together that you agree to follow and abide by throughout the year. While roommate agreements may not encompass every guideline to living together in harmony, it should cover the basics of what’s expected of each of you and what you’ll both do or not do in order to be a good roommate.
So if you’re ready to set some ground rules so you and your roommate can head off some issues before they come up, here are some tips on what to include to create an effective roommate agreement.
1. Quiet Hours. An important rule to include in your roommate agreement is about quiet hours. Most dorms usually instill quiet hours after 10 or 11 p.m. on weeknights, but you and your roommate can decide what quiet hours mean to you and when you want them to be in effect. When you live with other people, noisiness can become an issue. Some noises, like showering, opening and closing drawers, doors, or cabinets, cooking, etc., can’t be helped, even if it’s during quiet hours.
But other sounds, like music blaring, the TV, and your voice while talking on the phone, can be moderated. Set a time with your roomies that will be when quiet hours start, perhaps making it be later on Friday and Saturday nights. During finals week or when one of you is studying or writing a paper, you can also both agree to wear headphones when listening to music or watching something on your laptops and to trying to keep the noise level down in general.
2. Cleanliness. It’s not fun to live in a messy place so having some expectations stated in your roommate agreement about cleanliness will help ensure your place doesn’t look like a sty. Your home will probably not be OCD-level neat but you shouldn’t have to come home from class to dirty dishes piled in the sink and a pile of shoes by the door.
Decide on some general rules you both can live with about cleaning up after yourselves, how many personal items you can keep in communal spaces, and set up a chore chart and schedule you’ll both adhere to in order to keep your apartment or house clean.
3. Guests. You and your roomies are equal when it comes to having people over — and you should, of course, feel comfortable inviting guests to your home. But having people over all the time — even if they’re people your entire household likes and enjoys hanging out with — can be annoying to your roomies.
Establish some rules in your roommate agreement about how many guests a person can have at a time, what sort of advance notice you’ll give your roommates when possible about people coming over, and the policy on having overnight guests.
4. Sharing Items. Living with roommates means you’ll end up sharing certain items — besides bills and a home — so it’s best to decide in your roommate agreement what things you’ll share no questions asked and what items will be individual. Certain products like eggs, milk, cleaning supplies, etc., will be things you’ll likely want to share with your roomies and take turns buying. Other items, like shampoo, clothes, and certain foods, you’ll want to keep for yourself and not share.
Set some guidelines on what things you’ll be okay with sharing with your roomies and how you all will handle sharing the buying responsibilities for those items, and which objects you want to be hands-off to your roomies unless they ask permission.
5. Bills. Besides including buying responsibilities for household items in your roommate agreement, you’ll also want to cover other financial obligations, like bills. Your utilities and rent need to be paid, and if one person is doing it, they should count on being paid back by the other roommates in an orderly fashion.
You can set up the utilities in one person’s name or split them up among the roommates (one person for gas, one person for electricity, etc.) so there isn’t only one person responsible for making sure all the bills are paid on time. If one person wants to take that responsibility on, include in your roommate agreement who that person is, the payment they’ll oversee, and how and when the other roommates will pay them back.
You don’t need to go overboard with your roommate agreement like Sheldon from “The Big Bang Theory” — but having some simple rules and expectations laid out that you and your roommates are responsible for adhering to is a good idea and will help make your living situation be that much better.
Learn more about Kaplan’s test prep options and start building the confidence you need for Test Day.
Apply to Write for Uloop NewsJoin the Uloop News Team
Discuss This Article
More Uloop Campus Life Articles
UIC TEST PREP LISTINGSSee all UIC Test Prep Listings
UIC Test Prep Listings
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
WRITE FOR ULOOPApply to Write for Uloop News
TOP 5 NEWS ARTICLES
MOST POPULAR UIC NEWS
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeNorthwesternDePaul UniversityUniversity of Illinois at ChicagoUniversity of IllinoisIllinois State UniversityLoyola University ChicagoNorthern Illinois UniversitySouthern Illinois University CarbondaleUniversity of ChicagoColumbia College ChicagoEastern Illinois UniversityNortheastern Illinois UniversitySouthern Illinois University EdwardsvilleWestern Illinois UniversityUniversity of Chicago Graduate School of BusinessMorton CollegeRoosevelt UniversityRobert Morris CollegeParkland CollegeMoraine Valley Community CollegeIllinois Wesleyan UniversityIllinois Institute of TechnologyChicago State UniversityKendall CollegeAugustana CollegeAmerican Intercontinental University OnlineAurora UniversityLisle, IllinoisBradley UniversityChicago School of Professional PsychologyConcordia UniversityDeVry UniversityDominican UniversityEast-West UniversityElmhurst CollegeGovernors State UniversityGreenville CollegeHarrington College of DesignIllinois CollegeInternational Academy of Design and TechnologyKnox CollegeLake Forest CollegeLewis UniversityLincoln Christian College and SeminaryLincoln CollegeMcKendree UniversityMidwestern UniversityMillikin UniversityMonmouth CollegeNational-Louis UniversityNorth Central CollegeNorth Park UniversityOlivet Nazarene UniversityQuincy UniversityRockford CollegeRosalind Franklin University of Medicine and ScienceRush UniversitySaint Augustine CollegeSaint Xavier UniversitySchool of the Art Institute of ChicagoThe Illinois Institute of ArtThe Illinois Institute of Art-SchaumburgThe John Marshall Law SchoolTrinity Christian CollegeTrinity International UniversityUniversity of Illinois at SpringfieldUniversity of St FrancisWheaton CollegeIllinois Central CollegeJoliet Junior CollegeShimer CollegeTruman CollegeThe Cooking and Hospitality Institute of ChicagoMacMurray CollegeCollege of DuPageIllinois Valley Community CollegeHarper CollegeIllinoisCity Colleges of ChicagoDePaul University College of LawBlack Hawk College Carl Sandburg College College of Lake County Danville Area Community CollegeElgin Community College Frontier Community College Highland Community College (IL)John A. Logan CollegeJohn Wood Community College Kankakee Community College Kaskaskia College Kishwaukee College Lewis & Clark Community CollegeLincoln Land Community College Lincoln Trail College McHenry County College Oakton Community College Olney Central College Prairie State College Rend Lake College Richland Community College Rock Valley College Sauk Valley Community College Shawnee Community College South Suburban College Southeastern Illinois College Spoon River College Triton College Wabash Valley College Waubonsee Community College Adler UniversityAlvareitas College of Cosmetology-BellevilleAlvareitas College of Cosmetology-EdwardsvilleAlvareitas College of Cosmetology-GodfreyAmerican Academy of ArtAmerican InterContinental University-OnlineArgosy University-ChicagoArgosy University-SchaumburgAveda Institute-ChicagoBexley Hall Seabury Western Theological Seminary FederationBIR Training CenterBlackburn CollegeBlessing Hospital School of Medical Laboratory TechnologyCALC Institute of TechnologyCameo Beauty AcademyCannella School of Hair Design-Blue IslandCannella School of Hair Design-ChicagoCannella School of Hair Design-ElginCannella School of Hair Design-Villa ParkCapital Area School of Practical NursingCapri Beauty CollegeCareer Center of Southern IllinoisCatholic Theological Union at ChicagoChicago ORT Technical InstituteChristian Life CollegeCity Colleges of Chicago-Harold Washington CollegeCity Colleges of Chicago-Kennedy-King CollegeCity Colleges of Chicago-Malcolm X CollegeCity Colleges of Chicago-Olive-Harvey CollegeCity Colleges of Chicago-Richard J Daley CollegeCity Colleges of Chicago-Wilbur Wright CollegeConcept College of CosmetologyCosmetology & Spa AcademyCoyne CollegeCreative Touch Cosmetology SchoolCurve Metric School of Hair DesignDebutantes School of Cosmetology and Nail TechnologyDeVry University-IllinoisEducators of Beauty College of Cosmetology-La SalleEducators of Beauty College of Cosmetology-SterlingEmpire Beauty School-Arlington HeightsEmpire Beauty School-Hanover ParkEmpire Beauty School-LisleEmpire Beauty School-Stone ParkEmpire Beauty School-Vernon HillsErikson InstituteEstelle Skin Care and Spa InstituteETI School of Skilled TradesEureka CollegeEverest College-Bedford ParkEverest College-Melrose ParkEverest College-North AuroraEverest College-SkokieFox CollegeGarrett-Evangelical Theological SeminaryGem City CollegeGraham Hospital School of NursingHair Professionals Career CollegeHair Professionals School of CosmetologyIllinois Center for BroadcastingIllinois College of OptometryITT Technical Institute-Oak BrookITT Technical Institute-Orland ParkITT Technical Institute-SpringfieldJ Renee Career FacilitationJohn Amico School of Hair DesignJudson UniversityKnowledge Systems InstituteLa James International College-East MolineLake Forest Graduate School of ManagementLincoln College of Technology-Melrose ParkLutheran School of Theology at ChicagoMacCormac CollegeMadison Media Institute-Rockford Career CollegeMcCormick Theological SeminaryMethodist CollegeMidstate CollegeMidwest College of Oriental Medicine-ChicagoMidwest Technical Institute-East PeoriaMidwest Technical Institute-MolineMidwest Technical Institute-SpringfieldMoody Bible InstituteMorrison Institute of TechnologyMorthland CollegeNational Latino Education InstituteNational University of Health SciencesNetworks Barber CollegeNiles School of CosmetologyNorthern Baptist Theological SeminaryNorthShore University HealthSystem School of Nurse AnesthesiaNorthwestern College-Chicago CampusNorthwestern College-Southwestern CampusPaul Mitchell the School-BradleyPaul Mitchell the School-NormalPCCTI IT and HealthcarePivot Point Academy-BloomingdalePivot Point Academy-EvanstonPrince Institute-Great LakesPrincipia CollegeRasmussen College-AuroraRasmussen College-IllinoisRasmussen College-Mokena/Tinley ParkRasmussen CollegeâRomeoville/JolietRegency Beauty Institute-AuroraRegency Beauty Institute-ChampaignRegency Beauty Institute-DarienRegency Beauty Institute-Fairview HeightsRegency Beauty Institute-PeoriaRegency Beauty Institute-Tinley ParkSAE Institute of Technology-ChicagoSaint Anthony College of NursingSaint Francis Medical Center College of NursingShear Learning Academy of CosmetologySOLEX CollegeSoma Institute-The National School of Clinical Massage TherapyStar Truck Driving School-BensenvilleStar Truck Driving School-Hickory HillsState Career CollegeTelshe Yeshiva-ChicagoThe Salon Professional Academy-ElginThe University of Aesthetics & CosmetologyTribeca Flashpoint Media Arts AcademyTricoci University of Beauty Culture-Chicago NETricoci University of Beauty Culture-Chicago NWTricoci University of Beauty Culture-Glendale HeightsTricoci University of Beauty Culture-LibertyvilleTricoci University of Beauty Culture-PeoriaTri-County Beauty AcademyTrinity College of Nursing & Health SciencesUnity Cosmetology CollegeUniversal Technical Institute of Illinois IncUniversity of Phoenix-IllinoisUniversity of Saint Mary of the LakeUniversity of Spa & Cosmetology ArtsVanderCook College of MusicWestwood College-DupageWorsham College of Mortuary Science
- By State
- By City