All About Private Loans
There are things you need to know about private loans before applying for one.
Money is a tough issue for any college student. Whether you are a senior in high school, a senior in undergraduate school, or someone who is about to enter graduate school, you will probably need financial assistance.
Loans are a great way of paying for college now and catching a break to get a job and pay them off later. It is like someone telling you, “I am lending you this money because I know you can pay me back later.” Isn’t it a nice feeling when someone believes in you?
However, be sure to look over the “Terms and Conditions” for every option. Different lenders will have different interest rates, payback timelines, and requirements to be eligible for a private loan. It is like the same someone telling you, “I’m not putting all of my eggs in one basket, so here is how it’s going down …”
The main difference between federal loans and private loans is:
•Federal student loans are funded by the federal government.
•Private student loans are made by a lender such as a bank, credit union, state agency, or a school.
Now that you know where each loan comes from, here are some other ways these two types of loans differ:
Federal Loans …
•Can help you lower your payments if you are having trouble paying back
•Offer loan forgiveness programs
•Do not require your credit history
•Do not require you to start paying back until after you graduate
Private Loans …
•May not have deferment options to help you pay back
•Do not offer loan forgiveness programs
•Are more expensive
•Have higher interest rates
Click here for more information on both types of loans. Continue reading for more information about private loans.
Check Your Options
Before you start applying for a private loan, revisit your options with federal loans, savings, and scholarships. Financial advisors will always encourage you to max out your federal financial assistance before pursuing a private loan.
This kind of loan should really be your last option when borrowing money. This is not to discourage you from searching for further financial assistance from the private sector. Just be aware that private loans are not the usual first safety line.
They’re More Expensive
The main reason you should consider private loans after all other options are exhausted is because of higher interest rates.
Interest rates on private loans tend to be higher due to the high risk of repayment and higher amounts of money offered among other factors.
You Need Credit History
Do you have a good credit score? Do you even have credit history? Federal loans do not run credit checks so you can go ahead and apply for one now.
Depending on who you go to, some private lenders will require you to provide your credit history. This is to determine how much the bank is willing to lend you. If you have good credit standing, you have a better chance of being offered a larger loan because of your record ability to pay on time.
If you aren’t sure about your credit score or it isn’t in good standing, you will be asked to have a cosigner. Cosigners pledge to take on the loan payments should you default on a payment or need help. A college student’s cosigner is usually a parent or guardian, but anyone with good credit can cosign a loan with you.
Do Not Over-Borrow
Many students have the misconception that they should borrow all the money that is available to them. In order to avoid unnecessary debt and financial stress, learn what your budget is before speaking with a private lender.
1. Consider the total cost (tuition, room and board, and additional fees) of a semester of your preferred college.
2. Deduct how much federal aid will cover of the total amount.
3. Allocate any other money you have (scholarships and grants) that can help you bring the leftover amount down.
4. If you have a job, it would be wise to incorporate how much you will earn into your budget.
Be smart and only borrow whatever amount is left. If you choose to increase your loan amount, you should save it for emergency purposes.
Sallie Mae’s College Planning Calculator can help you figure out how much you should save and borrow. Here are some perks of using this tool, according to the web page:
•You can see the full cost of college, not just tuition.
•Factor savings, scholarships, grants, and loans into your plan.
•If college is just around the corner, they can help you figure out how to pay for it.
•If college is far away, they can help you save for it.
•See guidelines for a loan payment compared to the salary needed to support it.
•Save your plan and you can review, revise, and update it at any time while you put that plan into action.
If you need further assistance on calculating and planning ahead, visit the financial aid office at your school or talk to your parents about your options. Paying for college does not have to be expensive if you do a bit of research and consider different choices.
Apply to Write for Uloop NewsJoin the Uloop News Team
Discuss This Article
More Uloop Business Articles
Recent UIC News Articles
RECENT UIC CLASSIFIEDS
WRITE FOR ULOOPApply to Write for Uloop News
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TOP 5 NEWS ARTICLES
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeNorthwesternDePaul UniversityUniversity of Illinois at ChicagoUniversity of IllinoisIllinois State UniversityLoyola University ChicagoNorthern Illinois UniversitySouthern Illinois University CarbondaleUniversity of ChicagoColumbia College ChicagoEastern Illinois UniversityNortheastern Illinois UniversitySouthern Illinois University EdwardsvilleWestern Illinois UniversityUniversity of Chicago Graduate School of BusinessMorton CollegeRoosevelt UniversityRobert Morris CollegeParkland CollegeMoraine Valley Community CollegeIllinois Wesleyan UniversityIllinois Institute of TechnologyChicago State UniversityKendall CollegeAugustana CollegeAmerican Intercontinental University OnlineAurora UniversityLisle, IllinoisBradley UniversityChicago School of Professional PsychologyConcordia UniversityDeVry UniversityDominican UniversityEast-West UniversityElmhurst CollegeGovernors State UniversityGreenville CollegeHarrington College of DesignIllinois CollegeInternational Academy of Design and TechnologyKnox CollegeLake Forest CollegeLewis UniversityLincoln Christian College and SeminaryLincoln CollegeMcKendree UniversityMidwestern UniversityMillikin UniversityMonmouth CollegeNational-Louis UniversityNorth Central CollegeNorth Park UniversityOlivet Nazarene UniversityQuincy UniversityRockford CollegeRosalind Franklin University of Medicine and ScienceRush UniversitySaint Augustine CollegeSaint Xavier UniversitySchool of the Art Institute of ChicagoThe Illinois Institute of ArtThe Illinois Institute of Art-SchaumburgThe John Marshall Law SchoolTrinity Christian CollegeTrinity International UniversityUniversity of Illinois at SpringfieldUniversity of St FrancisWheaton CollegeIllinois Central CollegeJoliet Junior CollegeShimer CollegeTruman CollegeThe Cooking and Hospitality Institute of ChicagoMacMurray CollegeCollege of DuPageIllinois Valley Community CollegeHarper CollegeIllinoisCity Colleges of ChicagoDePaul University College of LawBlack Hawk College Carl Sandburg College College of Lake County Danville Area Community CollegeElgin Community College Frontier Community College Highland Community College (IL)John A. Logan CollegeJohn Wood Community College Kankakee Community College Kaskaskia College Kishwaukee College Lewis & Clark Community CollegeLincoln Land Community College Lincoln Trail College McHenry County College Oakton Community College Olney Central College Prairie State College Rend Lake College Richland Community College Rock Valley College Sauk Valley Community College Shawnee Community College South Suburban College Southeastern Illinois College Spoon River College Triton College Wabash Valley College Waubonsee Community College Adler UniversityAlvareitas College of Cosmetology-BellevilleAlvareitas College of Cosmetology-EdwardsvilleAlvareitas College of Cosmetology-GodfreyAmerican Academy of ArtAmerican InterContinental University-OnlineArgosy University-ChicagoArgosy University-SchaumburgAveda Institute-ChicagoBexley Hall Seabury Western Theological Seminary FederationBIR Training CenterBlackburn CollegeBlessing Hospital School of Medical Laboratory TechnologyCALC Institute of TechnologyCameo Beauty AcademyCannella School of Hair Design-Blue IslandCannella School of Hair Design-ChicagoCannella School of Hair Design-ElginCannella School of Hair Design-Villa ParkCapital Area School of Practical NursingCapri Beauty CollegeCareer Center of Southern IllinoisCatholic Theological Union at ChicagoChicago ORT Technical InstituteChristian Life CollegeCity Colleges of Chicago-Harold Washington CollegeCity Colleges of Chicago-Kennedy-King CollegeCity Colleges of Chicago-Malcolm X CollegeCity Colleges of Chicago-Olive-Harvey CollegeCity Colleges of Chicago-Richard J Daley CollegeCity Colleges of Chicago-Wilbur Wright CollegeConcept College of CosmetologyCosmetology & Spa AcademyCoyne CollegeCreative Touch Cosmetology SchoolCurve Metric School of Hair DesignDebutantes School of Cosmetology and Nail TechnologyDeVry University-IllinoisEducators of Beauty College of Cosmetology-La SalleEducators of Beauty College of Cosmetology-SterlingEmpire Beauty School-Arlington HeightsEmpire Beauty School-Hanover ParkEmpire Beauty School-LisleEmpire Beauty School-Stone ParkEmpire Beauty School-Vernon HillsErikson InstituteEstelle Skin Care and Spa InstituteETI School of Skilled TradesEureka CollegeEverest College-Bedford ParkEverest College-Melrose ParkEverest College-North AuroraEverest College-SkokieFox CollegeGarrett-Evangelical Theological SeminaryGem City CollegeGraham Hospital School of NursingHair Professionals Career CollegeHair Professionals School of CosmetologyIllinois Center for BroadcastingIllinois College of OptometryITT Technical Institute-Oak BrookITT Technical Institute-Orland ParkITT Technical Institute-SpringfieldJ Renee Career FacilitationJohn Amico School of Hair DesignJudson UniversityKnowledge Systems InstituteLa James International College-East MolineLake Forest Graduate School of ManagementLincoln College of Technology-Melrose ParkLutheran School of Theology at ChicagoMacCormac CollegeMadison Media Institute-Rockford Career CollegeMcCormick Theological SeminaryMethodist CollegeMidstate CollegeMidwest College of Oriental Medicine-ChicagoMidwest Technical Institute-East PeoriaMidwest Technical Institute-MolineMidwest Technical Institute-SpringfieldMoody Bible InstituteMorrison Institute of TechnologyMorthland CollegeNational Latino Education InstituteNational University of Health SciencesNetworks Barber CollegeNiles School of CosmetologyNorthern Baptist Theological SeminaryNorthShore University HealthSystem School of Nurse AnesthesiaNorthwestern College-Chicago CampusNorthwestern College-Southwestern CampusPaul Mitchell the School-BradleyPaul Mitchell the School-NormalPCCTI IT and HealthcarePivot Point Academy-BloomingdalePivot Point Academy-EvanstonPrince Institute-Great LakesPrincipia CollegeRasmussen College-AuroraRasmussen College-IllinoisRasmussen College-Mokena/Tinley ParkRasmussen CollegeâRomeoville/JolietRegency Beauty Institute-AuroraRegency Beauty Institute-ChampaignRegency Beauty Institute-DarienRegency Beauty Institute-Fairview HeightsRegency Beauty Institute-PeoriaRegency Beauty Institute-Tinley ParkSAE Institute of Technology-ChicagoSaint Anthony College of NursingSaint Francis Medical Center College of NursingShear Learning Academy of CosmetologySOLEX CollegeSoma Institute-The National School of Clinical Massage TherapyStar Truck Driving School-BensenvilleStar Truck Driving School-Hickory HillsState Career CollegeTelshe Yeshiva-ChicagoThe Salon Professional Academy-ElginThe University of Aesthetics & CosmetologyTribeca Flashpoint Media Arts AcademyTricoci University of Beauty Culture-Chicago NETricoci University of Beauty Culture-Chicago NWTricoci University of Beauty Culture-Glendale HeightsTricoci University of Beauty Culture-LibertyvilleTricoci University of Beauty Culture-PeoriaTri-County Beauty AcademyTrinity College of Nursing & Health SciencesUnity Cosmetology CollegeUniversal Technical Institute of Illinois IncUniversity of Phoenix-IllinoisUniversity of Saint Mary of the LakeUniversity of Spa & Cosmetology ArtsVanderCook College of MusicWestwood College-DupageWorsham College of Mortuary ScienceBenedictine University
- By State
- By City